Provably fair gambling removes the thought of any game being rigged. When playing at any online bitcoin or cryptocurrency casino, whether you’re new or have visited the casino website many times. You are placing your trust in that casino and expect the outcomes of their games to be fair.
It’s an age-old concern from players if indeed the online casino is being fair on the outcome of the result. Therefore, the Bitcoin community came up with a process using the blockchain of which players can check that games and outcome were fair. This is known as ‘provably fair gambling’, therefore with every roll of the dice or turn of a card, players can verify in real time that the results haven’t been tampered with.
Provably Fair Tutorial Video
Casinos Offering Provably Fair Gambling
What is Provably Fair Gambling?
As per above, Provably Fair Gambling is a process in which a player is able to verify the outcome of the online casino game that they have played, to check that the result was fair. It uses the following technology to work:
1. Random Number Generators: An RNG put simply is a computerised program that can generate millions of numbers per second that do not form a pattern. Teamed with algorithms, RNG are behind the majority of online casino games, however, there have been instances of software not being honest and able to trick players out of their money.
The only way casinos can prove that they are fair is by using third party auditing companies to conduct tests to identify anything unusual which would see the casino closed down.
2. Seed Generators: Casino’s use algorithms produce an outcome of any game; a seed generator creates the numbers which are fed into the algorithms. At provably fair casinos, players can add the seed number themselves, which ensures that the casino can’t control the outcome of the game.
3. Hashing: Hashing is simply an algorithm in which a string of data is inputted, and it outputs that data into a string of random numbers and letters. When a seed number gets hashed, this means it has been encrypted so that it cannot be tampered with.
How does Provably Fair Gambling Work in Online Casinos?
Now that we have covered the parts of the process, let’s bring it together so you can see how it works using online blackjack as an example:
1. A player chooses blackjack in their preferred online casino.
2. The casino generates a seed number which is hashed upon the shuffling of the cards.
3. This hash number is then provided to the player.
4. The player then needs to provide a seed number, which can be generated manually or through a RNG, which they give back to the casino to go into the algorithm.
5. This seed number will change the game in some way that neither party is aware of e.g. a card may change.
6. The cards are then dealt and the player will find they have either won or lost.
7. The casino will then lay out the deck as it was originally, and then again after the player sent their seed number, proving that the hand was fair.
The provably fair process has therefore shown that the casino’s algorithm is fair, as the player has been able to intervene by providing a seed number, meaning the casino is no longer completely in control.
Example of seed generated (you can change the seed to what you’re comfortable with, then match it with what the games reveals to ensure fairness).
Problems that Provably Fair Gambling Doesn’t Solve
Although provably gambling helps reinstate our trust in a casino’s methods (that the outcome is truly random and you haven’t been cheated), you may still encounter other problems that it can’t solve.
Withdrawal Restrictions: Often players can win fair and square yet the casino can make it very difficult to withdraw any winnings. Make sure you always read through the T&Cs and read our reviews on the most trusted Bitcoin casinos.
Terrible Odds: Although provably gambling ensures that the algorithm isn’t fixed it can’t improve your odds of winning as it is unable to influence the underlying mathematics of the game.
The best way to win more often is to get an understanding of the house edge so that you can choose a game like blackjack, where you stand a better chance of winning.
Stolen Details: Although we don’t hear about it often, if a hacker was to steal your details from an online casino, provably gambling isn’t able to stop them. Such casinos do have advanced levels of cryptography so this breach should be rare, however it can happen.
It’s always important to research your Bitcoin casino before you play, our reviews can help you do that.
Picking a Provably Fair Gambling Site
You’ll find that there is a wide range of provably fair sites around which is good to see as casinos go the extra mile to prove that they are playing fair. We’ve noted below a few extra features you should check when trying to decide which site to play on.
Does it accept your preferred cryptocurrency?
Some provably fair sites only accept Bitcoin whereas others only accept Litecoin and other cryptos. We’d recommend always checking this at the start of your research to avoid disappointment when you come to make a deposit.
Is it secure and safe?
The Bitcoin community is filled with people with advanced computer skills, some of whom have bad intentions! Some provably fair sites have high level security solutions such as multi-signature cold storage.
Your crypto gets stored in an offline, hardware wallet and approval is needed from multiple keyholders in order to get access to the funds. That’s the kind of security that we like!
What services does it offer?
Provably fair sites aren’t just for casino players, they can be sports betting, lotto based amongst others. So always check the site meets, you can always check these details in our review section.
Can you claim any welcome offers?
Nearly every casino we’ve ever come across has a welcome offer of some sort, it’s a nice sweetener for players to get them to join as everyone likes an enhanced balance! Provably fair sites are the same and you’ll find a range of loyalty bonuses, cashback bonuses and daily rewards.
What Unique Features does it offer?
Whilst reviewing provably fair sites we’ve come across some unique features specifically for crypto players. These include, bankroll features to help you increase your bitcoin, coin selection algorithms which adds an extra element of privacy, social functions, leader boards and hot keys. Which lets you perform casino functions automatically.
All these points can make a big difference to your betting experience, so we urge you to take the time to review the sites first and see what they offer before choosing where to play.
Closing Thoughts on Provably Fair Casinos
Provably fair casinos are here to stay as the technology surrounding cryptocurrency and the blockchain continues to gain traction. Although all standard online casinos continue to use the random number generation (RNG) system. It may take sometime before provably fair is implemented across the market.
The difference between RNG and the provably fair system, is that with RNG a player puts all their trust in the system, but isn’t able to confirm the result is random. While provably fair, allows players to choose their seed or generate one randomly, initiate the slot or card game then match their freely chosen seed against the one that the game has generated. The two should match.
Top Provably Fair Casinos